Old East Village Explosion Timeline
A house exploded just minutes after police arrived on scene for a reported car crashed into a home on Woodman Avenue.
Hours later the devastation is becoming more clear. Several houses are destroyed, one is levelled and a total seven people were injured including six first responders, with one firefighter remaining in hospital with serious injuries.
Here is a timeline of how it all unfolded.:
Wednesday, Aug. 14:
- 10:37 p.m. – London Police receive multiple reports of a vehicle into a home at 450 Woodman Avenue
- 10:39 p.m. – Police arrive on scene, locate citizens attempting to extricate the female driver from the car; police immediately note a gas leak
- 10:40 p.m. – Fire crews arrive on scene to assist in extrication of the driver; police begin evacuation of the area, driver is arrested
- 10:50 p.m. – House explodes sending debris across the neighbourhood; fire spreads to surrounding homes
Thursday, Aug. 15:
- 6 a.m. – Fire crews continue to battle hot spots, fires are under control
- 7:30 a.m. – Police, Fire, EMS, Mayor, hold press conference; confirm seven injured including two police officers and four firefighters
- 9:00 a.m. – Police release name of woman charged
- 6 p.m. – Firefighters continue to deal with smouldering rubble at main blast site
8 p.m. – Most residents return home, with the exception of 12 homes - 10 on Woodman and two on Charlotte Street
– Power and water services restored, most roads reopened
Friday, Aug. 16
- Residents in all but eight homes on Woodman back in their houses,
- Two homes on Charlotte Street cleared for residents to return
- Two homes completely demolished
- Status of third home undetermined, but may still be demolished
- Work to clear remaining debris continues, sections of Queen and Woodman still closed
Saturday, Aug. 17
- Crews demolish house at 452 Woodman Avenue, the third to come down.
Tuesday, Aug. 20
- Concert held at Aeolian Hall in support of families affected by the OEV explosion.
Thursday, Aug. 22
- Eight additional charges laid against 23-year-old Daniella Alexandra Leis in connection with blast.
Friday, Aug. 23
- Firefighter seriously injured in blast released from hospital to complete recovery at home.
CTV London will add more to this timeline as information becomes available.