A man and woman have been arrested and the oak box containing the keepsakes of a newborn who died after a crash in Wingham has been recovered.

London police say two city residents were arrested last Thursday on an unrelated matter, and a search of their vehicle found marijuana and property that had been in the same vehicle from which the keepsake box was taken.

Then on Friday, police searched a residence on Wilkins Street and the oak keepsake box, as well as a sleeper, baby blanket, footprint book, and a knitted infant hat were found.

"There was the possibility of not locating any of it, but we are certainly happy we found some of it," says Const. Ken Steeves.

"Unfortunately what was not located was the mold of the babies feet, a CD with the baby pictures, as well as a hair locket."

The box had been stolen from the family vehicle of Marsha Benninger, whose newborn son Sawyer died after she was involved in a crash in Wingham while she was nine-months pregnant.

As a result of the investigation, 32-year-old Mark Barton and 34-year-old Amanda Fordham have both been charged with two counts of possession of property obtained by crime and possession of a Schedule II substance.

As part of a separate investigation, Barton has also been charged with possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000, two counts of fail to comply with undertaking, two counts of theft under $5,000 and three counts of mischief.

Barton remains in custody and was scheduled to appear in court Monday while Fordham was released and is scheduled to return to court in October.

The investigation into the thefts continues, and a number of items that were in the oak box have not yet been found, including:

  • a lock of the baby boy's hair (dark in colour)
  • full moldings of the baby's feet (clay)
  • CD with baby pictures
  • a card with the baby's name and date of his death on it

An investigation also continues in relation to other property found in the suspects' vehicle upon their arrest.

"It's difficult to say at this point whether the remaining items will be located," Steeves says. "We are doing our best with the investigation and hoping we do find it."