Terror charges laid against Nathaniel Veltman, accused in London, Ont. vehicle attack
Federal and provincial Crown attorneys have laid terror charges against the man accused of intentionally driving into a Muslim family in London, Ont. killing four and injuring a child.
Nathaniel Veltman, 20, was facing four counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder in relation to the alleged vehicle attack.
At a court appearance Monday morning in London, Ont. prosecutors informed Veltman that they received consent to pursue terrorism charges under section 83 of the Criminal Code.
Veltman appeared before the court at 10 a.m.
Shortly after federal Crown attorney Sarah Shaikh spoke to the court saying that on June 9 prosecutors received consent to go ahead with terror proceedings.
Provincial Crown attorney Jennifer Moser also said that they had received consent on June 9 on the provincial level.
Veltman appeared in court last Thursday but the case was put over in order for him to apply for legal aid and obtain counsel.
At Monday's appearance Veltman still did not have legal counsel and the case was put over until June 21.
A publication ban has been placed on the proceedings.
The deceased have been identified as 46-year-old Salman Afzaal, his 44-year-old wife Madiha, their 15-year-old daughter Yumnah and her 74-year-old grandmother, Talat Afzaal.
The four family members were laid to rest over the weekend, meanwhile the couple’s nine-year-old son Fayez Afzaal has been recovering from serious injuries sustained in the attack. He was unable to attend the weekend funeral but has since been released from hospital.
Mubin Shaikh, a professor of public safety at Seneca College, says the decision represents a significant development.
“I'm pleasantly surprised, I thought they would not go ahead with terrorism charges. I thought, look its easier to prosecute homicide charges.”
Police have alleged that the attack on the evening of June 6, was a planned and premeditated act against Muslims.
The family had been out for an evening walk along Hyde Park Road at South Carriage Road when they were hit by a driver in a black pickup.
In a statement, London police say they worked in conjunction with the RCMP, Ministry of the Attorney General and Public Prosecution Service of Canada to determine the charges also "constitute terrorism offences."
Police are also reassure the public that "there is no further known or suspected threat to the public associated to the accused at this time," but added the investigation is ongoing.
Murray Faulkner, retired chief of the London Police Service, says he wants the public to focus on the bigger, more severe murder charges, as Canada's terrorism laws are designed to apply primarily prior to an event happening.
For a conviction under terrorism laws, Faulkner says three things must be proven.
“One, is it a criminal offence, and if he’s found guilty, that’s proven. Two was it for political, ideological purposes. And then three, which is a big step, is the intent, and that word is important, was the intent of the individual committing the crime for the purpose of intimidating the public or their safety.”
None of the charges have been proven in court. Veltman's next court appearance is set for June 21.
The London Muslim Mosque, which the family belonged to, has called for a national summit on Islamophobia between all levels of government.
A vigil for the family and a separate multi-faith walk each saw thousands of Londoners pour out to show support to the Muslim community.
- With files from CTV News London's Sean Irvine
London Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Health Minister Patty Hajdu said she expects a submission from Pfizer in the coming weeks for the use of the company’s COVID-19 vaccine in children ages five to 11.
Canadians living in long-term care homes and other congregate-care settings should receive a COVID-19 vaccine booster shot, Canada's vaccine advisory body recommended on Tuesday.
A Canada-wide warrant has been issued for a man who police say fled the Toronto area after allegedly killing an Ontario couple that disappeared earlier this month.
Clayton Thomas-Mueller tells the story of his life going from the mean streets of Winnipeg to fighting for Indigenous rights in his new memoir titled 'Life in the City of Dirty Water.'
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says that he intends to name his new cabinet in October, bring Parliament back 'before the end of fall,' and implement the promised federal vaccine mandate as soon as possible. Chrystia Freeland will continue as deputy prime Minister and finance minister, Trudeau said.
A family and emergency physician in northeastern Ontario has been barred from issuing exemptions for COVID-19 vaccines, masking requirements and testing as he faces a disciplinary hearing before the province's medical regulator.
Twice a year, a Beatles memoriabilia auction is held near Liverpool — and this year, the star item was a set of recorded interviews with John Lennon and Yoko Ono, conducted by a Canadian journalist.
A total of 35 of the 39 people stuck underground at Vale's Totten Mine in Sudbury, Ont., have now been rescued, Vale reported late Tuesday afternoon. A team of doctors is on-site and checking workers as they emerge from underground.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he hopes to share a decision on whether to ban Huawei Technologies from Canada's 5G wireless network rollout 'in the coming weeks.'
A Norfolk County farm where around 200 migrant workers tested positive for COVID-19 last spring and summer is now facing 27 charges under the Reopening Ontario Act and the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health is tightening its COVID-19 self-isolation policy, now requiring all non-vaccinated members of a high-risk contact's household to also stay home and isolate.
Waterloo Region added 17 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday.
The $24-million high school being built in town will not have the name Amherst on it.
A drum circle held this evening in Lakeshore was intended to ignite learning and wellness in the community.
Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens says the city is “dreaming big” when proposing a $32.5 million project to give the riverfront Festival Plaza a futuristic facelift.
Three women are making history as the first female K9 handlers in the OPP.
A driver faces charges after an officer spotted three children without their seatbelts fastened.
The OPP released the names of the two people who died in an apartment building fire at the Shannon Towers in Collingwood.
North Bay took part in a simulated hazardous material release Tuesday, involving rail cars in the Ottawa Valley Railway yard off Oak Street in the city’s downtown.
An addictions group in Sault Ste. Marie is calling for more transparency when it comes to a planned addictions facility in the city.
Ottawa's four main school boards are reporting 112 active COVID-19 cases between them as of Tuesday afternoon and Ottawa Public Health is reporting 15 ongoing outbreaks.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is reaffirming his pre-election pledge to make vaccination against COVID-19 mandatory for federal public servants.
Ottawa Police investigate collision at Somerset Steet W and Bronson
Grieving daughter begs Ontario to mandate vaccines for long-term care staff after vaccinated mother dies
Kim Beaver says that as she sat outside the room where her mother died at a long-term care facility in Oshawa, Ont., she could hear the haunting sounds down the hall of other seniors, sick with COVID-19, wheezing and struggling to breathe.
A region in Ontario is warning about an aggressive new tactic that uses a loophole to help make sales.
Kevin Smith Chartree was 27 years old when he died of COVID-19. The father of two had received just one dose of a vaccine when he received his positive diagnosis on Sept. 1.
Weeks after selling the Outremont mansion of Quebec Premier François Legault, one of Montreal’s highest-profile realtors agreed to pay a $20,000 fine for breaching the real-estate ethics code.
A 32-year-old woman in the Lanaudière region has died, and police have arrested a 36-year-old man in connection with her death.
Health officials in New Brunswick are reporting 68 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, along with 84 recoveries, as the total number of active cases in the province drops to 632.
Health officials in Nova Scotia are reporting the province's 97th COVID-19 related death, as well as 32 new cases and 28 recoveries, as 205 active cases remain in the province.
In the wake of the resulting public pressure, the province began publishing its daily school update Tuesday – a list of schools with at least one COVID-19 exposure in the past 30 days, organized by notification date.
Some Point Douglas area homes have been evacuated as a precaution and one firefighter has been taken to hospital as crews continue to battle a large fire burning in an abandoned warehouse that could take days to extinguish.
A 19-year-old Indigenous woman says she was assaulted by a Winnipeg cab driver who she believed was possibly trying to abduct her, but the cab company says it was the driver who was being attacked.
A man has pleaded guilty to sexually abusing sixboys and showing pornography to them and other boys in a northern Manitoba community.
Premier Jason Kenney turned down an offer of up to 30 experienced medical staff from Newfoundland and Labrador, saying Alberta doesn't need them now, but may in the weeks to come.
A third-party vaccine verification app that was initially endorsed by the Calgary Flames' ownership group left some users' data unsecured and available to be viewed by the public, CTV News has confirmed.
Alberta reported 1,246 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday as the fourth wave continues to pressure the province’s health care system with a record high number of hospitalizations.
The total number of active cases among school-aged children (between five and 19 years old) now stands at 5,439, an increase of 4,168 from the start of September.
'Flirting on the knife's edge': Oilers welcome fans back as doctors warn a new lockdown is needed in Alberta
For the first time since the NHL suspended its 2019-20 season in March of last year, the Edmonton Oilers will welcome fans back into Rogers Place on Tuesday night.
The new cases were among 652 cases recorded across the province over the past 24 hours, according to BCCDC data.
A B.C. Supreme Court judge has denied an extension to an injunction against protesters blockading old-growth logging in the Fairy Creek area of Vancouver Island, saying the actions of the RCMP at the injunction site have put the court’s reputation at risk.
Nanaimo RCMP are searching for a group of teens after two youths reportedly assaulted a man on Monday morning.