Dramatic video shows what happened when police approached a man with an edged weapon downtown Tuesday and shots were fired.

London police have the suspect in custody following the weapons incident at King Street east of Richmond at 9:07 a.m.

A witness tells police he heard two shots fired and came to look out of his window on King Street.

"I seen police chasing a guy in a green fluorescent vest in this alleyway off of King Street. He was very erratic," the witness says.

While this witness says the man had a gun (another witness also told CTV News the same information), police say the man was carrying an edged weapon.

"He turned and pointed the gun at the police. The police said, ‘Drop it. Drop it. Drop it.' This guy’s lucky he’s alive. The police really held their composure very well,” the witness says.

Police say the suspect threatened and then charged at an officer with the edged weapon.

As a result of being charged at by the armed suspect, the officer discharged his firearm twice, police say.

There were no injuries as a result of the officer firing his weapon, they say.

But one of the bullets went through the steel rear door of the Richmond Tavern. The general manager of the tavern, Mark Dencev tells CTV News he was listening to music using earbuds but heard the noise and was startled.

Dencev was the only one in the bar at the time.

Video from the tavern shows the suspect lunging toward an officer, who fires at least one shot while backpeddling.

Smoke can be seen when the bullet hits a wall. The officer gets up and pursues the suspect across the street.

A second bullet penetrated the steel door at the rear of the richmond tavern and hotel.

Police say the suspect then fled into a nearby alley where there was a brief standoff with additional officers, police say.

In an attempt to de-escalate the situation, police say they tried to negotiatiate but the suspect continued to be non-compliant and tried to flee the area.

He was taken into custody by members of the Emergency Response Unit at 9:48 a.m.

The suspect was taken to hospital for medical assessment and is now in police custody.

He has been identified as Ciaran Elmes, 25, of London.

Elmes is charged with assault a peace officer with a weapon, uttering threats of death or bodily harm, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.