Smoke detector credited with waking sleeping man in St. Marys house fire
A morning fire at 5126 Line 10, near the hamlet of Anderson outside St. Marys, Ont., Tuesday, Jan. 5, 2021. (Source: St. Marys Fire Chief Richard Anderson)
LONDON, ONT. -- A house fire northwest of St. Marys, Ont. has caused over $500,000 in damage.
The fire broke out on 5126 Line 10, near the hamlet of Anderson, late Tuesday morning.
Richard Anderson, Fire Chief St. Marys, Ontario tells CTV News a person at the residence was able to escape just in time, after a smoke alarm awoke him from his sleep.
Firefighters at 5126 Line 10, near the hamlet of Anderson - St. Marys Tuesday Jan. 5, 2021 (Jim Knight / CTV News)
Anderson also stated ashes from a wood stove may have caused the fire.
Crews from multiple fire departments and Stratford police are on scene.
Line 10 between Road 141 and Road 163 remains blocked to traffic.