SIU concludes shooting investigation on Oneida settlement
The SIU is investigating after gunfire is exchanged between an OPP officer and suspect in Oneida First Nations territory on Aug. 3, 2013.
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit has found no grounds to charge any of the officers involved after a 17-year-old was shot on the Oneida of the Thames First Nations settlement last month.
Three officers and a witness were investigating a robbery and attempted murder on the settlement on August 3rd when the confrontation took place.
A 17-year-old male, whom officers were told was armed with a sawed-off rifle, was walking down Elijah Road when police arrived.
The male shot at police and the civilian twice before officers returned fire, striking the teen above his right eye, in his upper chest and both arms.
Medical treatment was immediately provided and the male has since recovered.
In a statement, SIU Director Ian Scott said “In my view, the subject officers were justified in their use of lethal force in these circumstances. The male proved himself to be an imminent threat…Accordingly, I have no grounds to believe that the subject officers committed a criminal offence when they discharged their firearms at the male.”
The 17-year-old is facing numerous charges in connection with the incident.
To read the full release on the investigation visit: http://www.siu.on.ca/en/news_template.php?nrid=1772