Second suspect charged, third suspect named in Owen Sound fires
Owen Sound police say they are looking for a third suspect in connection with the rash of fires in the city on Monday.
An arrest warrant has been issued for 26-year-old Donald 'Donny' Kelly Wilson of Owen Sound on 17 counts of arson with disregard for human life, six counts of arson to property and one count of break and enter.
Investigators say they have information that Wilson may have fled the city and been headed to the Wiarton or Bruce Peninsula area.
He is described as a white male, 5'1" tall, 160 pounds with a thin build, brown medium-length hair and hazel eyes.
Police say they have also identified two more, previously unreported fire locations, the porch of a home in the 1000 block of 3rd Avenue East and a shrub on a property at 11th Street and 3rd Avenue East. Both fires extinguished themselves before significant damage occurred.
In a statement, Insp. Vince Wurfel said, “At this point our investigation indicates that there are no further suspects in relation to these arsons, however the investigation is continuing."
Officials say at this point they believe the targeted locations were random in nature, so no motive has been determined.
Earlier Wednesday, police released the name of a 24-year-old woman arrested on Tuesday in connection with the fires in Owen Sound.
Taylia Robson of Owen Sound, has been charged with two counts of arson with disregard for human life, one count of arson damage to property and breach of probation.
On Tuesday, a 17-year-old from Chatsworth who is charged with16 counts of arson endangering life and five counts of arson in connection with the fires appeared in court.
He was denied bail and is scheduled to return to court Aug. 18th.
The city was rocked by fires at multiple locations early Monday that destroyed several buildings and left dozens of people homeless, including seven children and several who had no insurance.
- 944 2nd Avenue East, 2:45 a.m. - resident extinguishes two small fires in common areas of retail and residential apartment building, minimal damage
- 393 15th Street East, 3:45 a.m. - residential fire, house totally destroyed and houses on each side significantly damage
- 4th Avenue East just south of 15th Street East, 3:45 a.m. - fire at south end of townhouse complex, two structures consumed by fire, occupants assisted, vehicle in parking lot also attempted to be set on fire but minimal damage
- 13th Street and 4th Avenue East, 4 a.m. - shed on property set on fire, spread to adjacent duplex, significant fire damage
- 17th Street and 6th Avenue East, just after 4 a.m. - fire in residential shed, significant fire damage.
- 4th Avenue East south of 13th Street East - arson attempt discovered at shed, fire appears to have extinguished on its own, no serious damage
- 1000 block of 3rd Avenue East - porch of a home, fire extinguished itself, no significant damage
- 11th Street and 3rd Avenue East - shrub on the property, fire extinguished itself, no significant damage