Dog owners are being asked to be on alert after a dog became seriously ill due to something it ate in a northwest London park.

Police were contacted on Wednesday in connection with the dog's illness, which happened after it ate something at Chesham Heights Park at 328 Castlegrove Blvd.

The dog's owner, Rhonda Bernardi, told police she was walking her dog Wriggley around 7:30 a.m. Tuesday when he picked up something - believed to be food - in the park and began eating it.

Back at home, about 40 minutes later, the dog became unresponsive and was taken to a veterinarian where his stomach was pumped.

The veterinarian told the dog's owner it appeared to be a case of poisoning in a food resembling stuffing.

Wriggely - who is a one-year-old, 70-pound Goldendoodle - is now in stable condition, but is on medication and being monitored. 

The investigation is ongoing and anyone who comes across something suspicious is asked to immediately notify police.

While officials say this is an isolated incident, parents are reminded to ensure small children don't pick up and eat any unknown items and pet owners are reminded to keep dogs on leash and not let them eat any discarded items.

Anyone with information in relation to this incident is asked to call the London Police Service at 519-661-5670 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.