Loaded handgun and drugs seized after investigation on Wharncliffe Road
(Source: London Police Service)
LONDON, ONT. -- A London man has been charged after a weapons investigation in the area of Wharncliffe Road and Oxford Street on Thursday.
A loaded handgun, a replica handgun and 14 grams of suspected cocaine with a value of $1,400 were seized after a weapons investigation.
Around 10 a.m. Thursday, police were informed of a citizen allegedly carrying a handgun in the waistband of his pants in the 300 block of Wharncliffe Road North.
Upon viewing surveillance footage, the unit where the suspect entered was positively identified.
Three occupants of the unit exited as officers entered, but one individual remained inside so neighbouring units were evacuated as negotiators attended the scene.
Just before 5 p.m. a 24-year-old London man was charged with the following:
- careless storage of a firearm and ammunition
- carrying a concealed weapon
- possession of a restricted firearm, without licence or registration
- possession of a loaded/unloaded firearm, with a tampered serial number
- two counts of possession of a firearm and ammunition while prohibited
- breach of probation
- possession of a schedule I substance
No injuries were reported in the incident.
The accused is scheduled to appear in court Friday.