Highrise fire sends man to hospital with burns to hands and stomach
A man was taken to hospital with burns to his face and stomach following a fire at a highrise on Adelaide Street Saturday afternoon.
Firefighters on scene said the blaze started around 1 p.m. in a bathroon at a unit on the fourth floor of the building at 1134 Adelaide St. N. They said a man in the apartment was reportedly trying to fill a butane lighter when the fire broke out.
They said he tried to use a towel to extinguish it and that's when he suffered the burns.
Some residents of the building had to be evacuated and were able to return to their apartments shortly after 2 p.m.
A female resident of the building was also monitored at the scene by EMS for smoke inhalation.
The unit where the fire started had about $10,000 in damages.