Goderich mayor's race among upsets in midwestern Ontario
Published Monday, October 27, 2014 9:07PM EDT Last Updated Monday, October 27, 2014 11:55PM EDT
One of the biggest upsets in Ontario on Election night came in Goderich. Residents elected Kevin Morrison as mayor, unseating incumbent Deb Shewfelt who had been the mayor since 1995.
Shewfelt was first elected mayor in 1975 but took some time off to raise a family. He was re-elected in 1995 and hadn't been challenged for over 17 years.
In the end, local restaurant owner Morrison captured 1,995 votes to Shewfelt’s 1,480.
A shocked and disappointed, yet classy as always, Shewfelt said “I feel like I've already won. I know the things we've accomplished and it comes from solid leadership. We got a lot of things done here in town, especially after the tornado. That was satisfaction to me. So I'm very satisfied.”
At his victory party on Goderich's Courthouse Square, Morrison said “We had the devastation of the tornado and we all worked through that but it's time to move Goderich forward when it comes to economic development, affordable housing, and programs for our youth. There's so much. Now's the time. Looking forward to a new council to move things forward here in Goderich.”
Elsewhere in Midwestern Ontario:
- In Huron County Maureen Cole is the new mayor in the Municipality of South Huron.
- Tyler Hessel defeated incumbent Bill Dowson to take over the mayor's seat in the Municipality of Bluewater.
- Ben Van Diepenbeek squeaked out a victory over Shawn Drennan to remain Ashfield-Colborne-Wawansosh reeve.
- Neil Vincent was re-elected in the Municipality of North Huron.
- Art Versteeg is mayor in the Township of Howick.
- Paul Gowing remains in the top job in Morris-Turnberry.
- In Bruce County, David Inglis beat Charlie Bagnato to remain mayor in Brockton.
- Anne Eadie is the new mayor of Kincardine.
- Mitch Twolan remains as Huron-Kinloss reeve.
- Mike Smith keeps his job as mayor in Saugeen Shores.
- Paul Eagleson is still mayor in Arran-Elderslie.
- Robert Buckle is the new reeve in South Bruce.
- Ian Boddy is the new mayor of Owen Sound.
- Sue Paterson is the new mayor of Hanover.
- Kevin Eccles kept his job as the mayor in West Grey.
- George Bridge is reeve in the Township of Minto.
- Anna-Marie Fosbrooke eked out a 49-vote victory over incumbent Brian Milne in the Township of Southgate.