Full list of recommendations from the Goderich tornado death inquiry
CTV London Published Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:01PM EST Last Updated Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:02PM EST
A church in Goderich, Ont., sits in ruins Monday, Aug. 22, 2011, after a tornado ripped through the town a day earlier, killing one person. (The Canadian Press/Geoff Robins)
Below is a complete list of the recommendations made by the jury at the coroner's inquest into the 2011 death of Normand Laberge during the tornado in Goderich, Ont. It includes who the recommendations are directed to:
- Environment Canada - Explore adding Marine Tornado Warning banner on the Current Conditions and Forecast page so all warnings appear in the one location for each affected town/city/municipality.
- Environment Canada - Explore including notification of Marine Tornado Warnings on the weather radio, for affected shoreline communities.
- Environment Canada, Emergency Management Ontario (EMO) and CRTC - Strongly encourage all broadcasters participate in National Alert Distribution System.
- Environment Canada, EMO, OPP, Huron County, Town of Goderich - Explore enhanced ways of timely dissemination to the general public of weather warnings to pose risk to life. Consider reach of social media and the limitations and also include forms of dissemination that do not rely on technology.
- Emergency Management Ontario - Work with municipalities to explore a municipal siren system for emergencies that has a consistent tone that is standardized across Ontario.
- EMO, OPP, Huron County - Require all emergency bases(ex.911, fire, police, ambulance) to have a weather radio in a suitable location to permit the monitoring of weather warnings.
- Sifto - Consider use in Central Control of a Marine Radio with a trained and licenced operator to monitor Marine Weather Warnings.
- Sifto - Review and update Operating Practice OP517 to include changes in procedures since tornado with a focus on the automatic shutdown of the Ship Loading Boom and operator evacuation.
- Sifto - Ensure Ship Loading Boom Operators are re-trained on the new procedures and equipment for the Ship Loading Boom.
- Sifto - Continue ongoing training regarding emergency preparedness.
- Sifto - Review emergency preparedness with respect to the need for radio replacement batteries at rally points.
- Town of Goderich, Huron County, EMO - Engage in ongoing public sector education and private sector communication regarding emergency preparedness focused on, but not limited to, the value of weather radios.
- Town of Goderich - Consider implementation of a siren system for public alerting in emergencies.
- Ministry of Labour - Explore and consider the requirement of weather radios within workplaces with equipment that may be affected by weather warnings.