A family in east London is out of their home after a roof fire Monday night.

The blaze started just before 6 p.m. at a Sanders Street home. A friend of the homeowner was using a propane torch to seal the shingles, when he accidentally started a fire.

The man was able to put out the blaze and thought he had completely extinguished it when he left the property, but the attic was still smouldering.

Residents inside were unaware that the roof was in flames until neighbours alerted them. The homeowner and his mother escaped without injury. Damage is estimated at over $100,000.

Fire officials caution that what seems like a manageable fire can quickly get out of control.