LONDON, ONT. -- The Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office has determined a cause for a fatal fire in Sarnia on Dec. 23.

Sarnia Fire Public Education Officer Mike Otis says investigators believe the blaze was accidental.

The fire broke out at 12:30 p.m. in a garage attached to a home on Stuart Street, in the city’s core.

Amidst heavy smoke, a man was pulled out of the building by firefighters shortly after their arrival. 

The 53-year-old was pronounced deceased at the scene. 

Otis says at this time, the man’s name will not be released.