Extensive smoke damage to garage housing antique car following fire
Published Sunday, February 28, 2016 6:07PM EST
A garage fire in south London caused between $150,000 and $250,000 in damages Sunday.
Fire crews were called to Bostwick Road about 3:30 p.m. and had to deal with flames and heavy smoke in the garage, which was attached to a home.
The blaze forced the closure of Bostwick Road between Southdale Road West and Pack Road in order to transport water to the scene as there were no city hydrants close enough.
Fire officials said the smoke damage was extensive, including to an antique car inside the garage.
There were also propane tanks, gasoline and car batteries inside the garage, which posed a risk.
“You've got low visibility, the electrical content, you've also got acid in the batteries, the potential for hitting it and causing the batteries to burst and acid to be sprayed around the area," said London fire chief Jim Stockdale.
Nobody was injured.