Army reservists train for potential natural disasters this weekend

This weekend local army reservists are taking part in training exercises across the province as the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) have had to respond to more natural disasters in recent years.
On Saturday morning, army reservists at London's Wolseley Barracks prepared for a potential domestic emergency.
The exercise, called TRILLUM DRAGON allowed for about 100 soldiers from 31 Canadian Brigade Group (CBG) to work in a domestic emergency scenario and planned out how to respond to it.
“Today’s scenario that we are working through today is an ice storm,” said Lt.-Col. Shawn Dumbreck.
“If you look back in history we do have those examples so we are preparing, should those scenarios happen again.”
Dumbreck said this training event is taking place across Ontario under the command of the Joint Task Force Central in Toronto.
Training is meant to provide practice in the event of natural disasters including severe flooding, storms, forest fires, and more.
Within the headquarters shelter system (HQSS) at the barracks, soldiers practice communication with army personnel to prepare for real circumstances where they are needed.
Lieut. Kristina Kacmarova, signal troop commander is one of 100 soldiers from 31 Canadian Brigade Group (CBG) who participated in the training in London, Ont. on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Jenn Basa/CTV News London)
“Examples would be the 2021 flooding that happened in British Columbia and the COVID-19 pandemic that occurred,” said Lieut. Kristina Kacmarova, signal troop commander.
The HQSS took up to two weeks to set up, said Kacmarova. The semi-permanent structure can also be dismantled and shipped to other areas if needed.
“It’s a reassuring thing for different levels of government and Canadian citizens to understand that the armed forces are preparing to support them the best they can,” said Dumbreck.
Other troops from the CBG took part in a bridge-building exercise this weekend in Shedden.
On Saturday members of the public were invited to see combat engineers construct and dismantled a temporary bridge across Talbot creek.
Reservists arrived on Friday evening from parts of Southwestern Ontario to conduct the exercise and are expected to complete their training by the end of Sunday.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
TREND LINE | Canada's health care crisis: Who's accountable, and how can we fix an overburdened system?
On CTVNews.ca and YouTube: Health journalist Avis Favaro joins our Trend Line podcast, for an in-depth episode dedicated to the growing crises facing the Canadian health-care system.

Canada's new anti-Islamophobia representative apologizes for comments about Quebecers
Canada's new special representative on combating Islamophobia says she is sorry that her words have hurt Quebecers.
Former CBC journalist dies after random attack on Toronto street, new suspect photo released
A long-time CBC radio producer who was the victim of a random assault in Toronto last week has died, the public broadcaster confirms.
Candice Bergen, former interim Conservative leader, resigning from Parliament
Candice Bergen, the former interim leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, is resigning from Parliament.
Mexico zoo director killed and cooked 4 pygmy goats for party
The former director of a zoo in southern Mexico killed four of the zoo's pygmy goats and served them up at a Christmas-season party, authorities said.
Food prices set to increase -- again -- as blackout on price hikes ends at some stores
Higher grocery prices are expected to hit stores across Canada soon as a blackout on price increases over the holiday season comes to an end.
Video shows car driving through Vaughan, Ont. mall during 'absolutely insane' break-in
Police have released a video of a driver who smashed a vehicle through the doors of Vaughan, Ont. mall early Wednesday before allegedly breaking into an electronics store.
'Immediately stop' wearing these sweaters and hoodies, Health Canada warns
Nearly 130,000 Helly Hansen sweaters and hoodies have been recalled in Canada due to flammability concerns.
Liberals set to introduce law delaying expansion of medically assisted dying regime
The federal government is expected to introduce a law as early as Thursday to delay the extension of medically assisted dying eligibility to people whose sole underlying condition is a mental disorder.